Pages

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Not Exactly a Review: The Chronicles of Narnia

Chronicles of Narnia. Another great set of classic English books. And I finished two sets of classical reading in one month including set of Lord of the Rings. Yeah, take a bet for my boredom level. It's either higher than the heaven or deeper than the ocean. Nah, honestly, that is just hyperbole. My boredom is on danger level but not so bad. When I started reading great book I just couldn't, wouldn't stop.  And it costs me my sleeping time. Oh well, some things are worth the trouble, after all.

Tosh aside (in case you don't know, tosh is British polite way to say crap, bullshit or trash), it's kind of mixed bag. The style of the writing many similarities with Lord of the Rings; and considering the same time frame of the writing of this two books, it's nothing unusual. And of course, it means the strength and weaknesses of those two is quite similar. And that is why I'm not going to repeat the same thing. You can read my short impression of Lord of the Rings here.

But, if there is one thing that is one uniqueness that completely stands out, it is the parallels of Chronicles of Narnia. If you ever read or watch "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe", the Lion in the title is called Aslan and he symbolized the Christ, the Lion from Judah who sacrificed Himself for us. And throughout the 7 series of the books, there is so many things that talks or symbolizes about Christ.

See this quote and you will get what I mean:
"'You would not have called to me unless I had been calling to you,'" said the Lion."
--The Silver Chair

"'Yes,' said Queen Lucy. 'In our world too, a Stable once had something inside it that was bigger than our whole world.'"
--The Last Battle
Wikipedia have the full explanation of the stories, the parallels. To summarize it in one sentence subjectively: It's a great classical children book that symbolizes much about Christ. But, I can not stress this enough: Just read the books!

No comments:

Post a Comment